Upcoming Calendar Events
  • Early Grad luncheon - 2/2
  • Senior Trip (Villa Roma) - 2/3-2/5
  • Senior Assembly - 2/8
  • Valentine’s Dance - 2/10
  • Respect for All Week - 2/13-2/17
  • Black History Month Open Mic - February 28th
  • Civics for All Week - 3/6-3/10
  • Honor Roll Ceremony - 3/16
  • Blood Drive - 3/21
  • Spirit Week - March 20th through March 24th
  • Spring Pep Rally - 3/24
  • Talent Show - 4/28
  • Senior Academic Awards - 5/18
  • Community Carnival - 5/20
  • Sports Awards - 5/25
  • Cultural Festival - 6/9
The student news site of Grover Cleveland High School in Ridgewood, Queens

The Cleveland Chronicles

The Cleveland Chronicles

The Cleveland Chronicles

The Cleveland Chronicles

The Cleveland Chronicles

Winter Concert 2023

Ever wonder what backstage is like at the auditorium? That feeling of stress just before you head on stage, lights blaring into your eyes as you try to focus on your actions—it can be euphoric. The Winter Concert is a yearly event where the artists of Grover Cleveland share their talents and passions. This year, Grover Cleveland decided it would be fun to play for an elementary school, a more than charitable choice. On top of that, this year introduced the school band uniform, which is a first for Grover.

The success of the dress rehearsal opens the door for the band to perform for elementary schools more often.

The Winter Concert at Grover Cleveland High School took place on Dec. 16th, 2023. It started at 7 P.M. and ended at 8:40 P.M. Before the performance, parents and students had the opportunity to walk through an art gallery showcase with different student paintings, ornaments, ceramics and Christmas cards, etc. Everyone also had an opportunity to buy some goods or snacks from the Parent Association.

The concert started with an amazing welcome from Grover Cleveland’s principal, Mr. Pascente, followed by the Pledge of Allegiance and Star Spangled Banner performed by Rebekah Zayasthe. Some stopped playing on their phones to hear her angelic voice. The next two performances featured the wind ensemble directed by Ms. L. Hornick, which was followed by a surprise appearance from the one and only Grinch. Ms. Morales’ Dance Ensemble came next and was a huge hit as the crowd seemed captivated by the choreography and music choice.

Following the dance team was a vocal solo directed by Mr. Green. The performance had a soft beginning, but became a stronger base near the end. The Dance Ensemble had a second performance; the audience were already expecting greatness from the team! “To no one’s surprise, the crowd was loving every single bit of it” one student mentioned .

After this performance, there was a piano act, with a comfortable song in the dark atmosphere which was a great thing for everyone after a hard week. Modern Band (also known as Global Warming) directed by Mr. Green was a bit hit with the crowd.

Before and after, Ms. Hornick’s class helped with setting up and putting back the stage equipment, there were also some students from other classes that volunteered to help, such as the student council. For many performers the rehearsals were the hardest part, Many students found them stressful yet fun. The teachers provided uniforms for the students. All the students had to do is inform the teachers their sizes; Ms. Norris, Mr. Suen and Mr. Irizarry were in charge of helping provide shirts. Originally, they wanted to get them formal attire but with the budget limit they had to go with shirts. Before the concert, many of the performers felt nervous. Even while performing they felt nervous yet with a hint of excitement, and as for after they felt exhausted and proud of themselves.

The P.A. (Parent Association) worked on raising money for two weeks before the concert. During the concert, they set up booths to help raise money for the school, but sadly, not many parents noticed. When interviewing parents many said they were excited for the performances, but didn’t notice the booths set up by the P.A. leading to very little sales. The P.A. had done their best to buy and set up for the winter concert this year they even received help from both Ms. Hornick’s Band class (receiving donation) and Ms. Edindjiklians ceramics class receiving ornaments to sell to help raise money for the school. The P.A. is important to the school; they help raise funding for clubs and events, not to mention they help us upgrade the school making it safer and look better.

During the winter concert there was also an art exhibit for the art students such as ceramics, drawing, painting and many more. Each teacher from the art classes chooses some of their students’ best works who wanted to share it, and to display it outside the auditorium. Some of the works were even used as decorating pieces. Each of the works is supposed to represent what the students have learned so far into the year in these classes motivated by the students’ passions or interests, led by their imaginations. Each of the art pieces is a reflection of the students themselves as well, their growth and who they are, so it was a neat thing to see before or after the concert.

All around the school the winter concert left an impression on the students, parents and teachers. There is a chance it might be a big influence on future projects. This year it introduced a lot of new concepts that show the schools dedication to making art and music showcases like this one count.